Thread: Dave craps on a movie THOR: RAGNAROK

I really do look like my avatar Dave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dave craps on a movie THOR: RAGNAROK

THOR: RAGNAROK
    One of last year’s MARVEL films. It’s a bon-bon, all action and comedy. Thor is fun, delightfully guile-free and he has good fights with lots of opponents. I watched the rental four times just because I could. F.U. Netflix.

THE PLOT: It begins with Thor a prisoner of Surtur, a demon who will destroy Asgard in Ragnarok. {BTW - Ragnarok means “Twilight of the Gods” and comes from the Norse EDDA around 1300 AD. You might know its more modern German version as The Ring of the Nibelungen. around 1876 AD} He defeats Surtur and returns to Asgard to find Loki masquerading as Odin. There is a stage drama that is insipid and so overacted it beggars the imagination. AS we all know from THOR:THE DARK WORLD, Loki is masquerading as Odin. Thor knows this and demands Loki reveal where Odin is. They travel to earth where Loki hid Odin in a senior citizen home. However, Dr Stephen Strange, Sorcerer Supreme, intercepts them. This is the scene we saw during the credits of the DR STRANGE movie…

Links, links, links…

Stephen Strange sends them to Norway and there, Odin tells them that they have an older sister, Hela Goddess of Death. It seems Hela and Odin conquered the nine realms and when she became to deathly bloodthirsty for Odin, he imprisoned her. Odin dies and Hela returns. She destroys Thor’s hammer Mjolnir. She goes to Asgard to reclaim her birthright - the throne of Asgard. Asgard gives her power and she will become undefeatable among the gods. . .
    Hela resurrects her army of the dead and Fenris the giant wolf.

BTW - she strands both Thor and Loki on the garbage world of Sakaar. There Thor has to fight THE HULK who was last seem two years before running away from becoming Bruce Banner after the defeat of ULTRON and saving Sekovia.

Got all that? Just go with the flow. The complexity works in the movie.
    Sakaar is run by the GRANDMASTER (Jeff Goldblum) who entertains the scrap-collectors with gladiatorial combat. Thor gets captured by Scrapper-142 who is a Valkyrie. Thor eventually fights THE HULK in a grand battle. Thor and Hulk make up afterward.
    Through lots of fun plotting, Loki, Thor, Scrapper-142, the Hulk, and the gladiators escape Sakaar and head to Asgard.

Meanwhile on Asgard, Hela the Goddess of Death, discovers that Heimdale has stolen the Bifrost Sword and effectively imprisoning her on Asgard. She will kill every Asgardian to gain that. And thus there is a battle between everyone. Ragnarok is inevitable. Ragnarok cannot be stopped. Asgard must fall and with it Hela Goddess of death.

All the plot threads warp together and the surviving Asgardians watch as Surtur destroys both Hela and Asgard.
    And in a mid-credit scene, the spaceship with all the Asgardians and heroes - are confronted by a huge-gigantic terrifying spaceship. The movie doesn’t reveal who or why or what but you can be sure that this scene appears in INFINITY WAR.

I enjoyed the movie in spite of all the plot threads whizzing through it.
    “They also call it the Winged Isle. Some say it is because the island, if seen from above, would look like butterfly wings. And I do not know the truth of it.” Then, “ ‘And what is truth?’ said jesting Pilate.” From: The Truth Is A Cave In The Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman.

Blog Entries

Re: Dave craps on a movie THOR: RAGNAROK

BTW - I haven't watched BLACK PANTHER or INFINITY WAR Part 1 yet.
    Be careful of spoilers .
    “They also call it the Winged Isle. Some say it is because the island, if seen from above, would look like butterfly wings. And I do not know the truth of it.” Then, “ ‘And what is truth?’ said jesting Pilate.” From: The Truth Is A Cave In The Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman.

Fully Qualified Member madnomadtoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    BTW - I haven't watched BLACK PANTHER or INFINITY WAR Part 1 yet.
    Be careful of spoilers .
    My God, Dave, how can you have avoided spoilers to IW-1 for this long? EVERYONE was talking about it. I never go to the theater. Prefer to wait for streaming or movie channels. But it seemed like every web site, every radio station, every TV program was spilling info on this movie. I was packing to move into a cave when, without my knowledge or permission, some web site downloaded a file onto my laptop. The media player started playing it on its own. It was Infinity War 1. Wouldn't turn off.

I called the FBI, told them there was a questionable copy of the flick on my PC. They hung up. I was forced to watch the movie, 1080p, wide-screen, subtitles in 12 languages. I was forced to pop Orville Redenbacher's and wash down Twinkies with Diet Dr Pepper. Finally it was over, and I realized, with great relief, that I was now inoculated against the spoilers.

Now to avoid the ratcheting conjecture over Part 2.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
    PENIS: Intact_______ERECT LENGTH: 4 Inches_______MODS: Circumcised_____________STATUS: Impotent
    SCROTUM: Intact____SIZE: Compact - Little Hang_____CASTRATION: Bilateral Inguinal___CONTENTS: Silicone/Saline Implants
    SECONDARY: Shelf Hips/Love Handles -- B-cup Breasts/Prominent Nipples -- Body Hair 90% Absent__________LIBIDO: A Distant Memory

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madnomadtoo View Post
    My God, Dave, how can you have avoided spoilers to IW-1 for this long?
    Ya caught me!

I haven't avoided any article and have read every spoiler I could get in front of my eyes. It's like blood sport on th internet of people guessing what happens in IW-2. Almost every day brings another "news report" of something someone saw on a set or heard from an actor.

(to be serious, I don't want to speculate about IW-2.)
    To be precise: These Marvel Universe movies more than any other multi-part series seems to play with the reader and viewer about the plots and how the characters develop. That isn't good writing or storytelling. It's just puerile ego gratification.

Thor:Ragnarok is a fun movie to watch and that's it. I Think we are likely going to get to the end of all the MCU movies and look back to say "that was simple-minded fun" and not that it enriched us or told a significant story.

In the next month, I'll rent Black Panther and watch it to death for two or three days. However, I won't watch Infinity War-1 until I can see it back-to-back with the second part.

i liked thor ragnarok. the storyline wasn't overly complicated and they kept moving along and the action scenes were nicely done. and i was a big fan of the music.
    infinity war 1 was not my favorite movie of the year, but i'll save that discussion until after you've seen it.
    can't wait to see venom. he was always one of my favorite characters.

Blog Entries

I have to see Black Panther before I see Infinity War p1.

I liked RAGNAROK but I question how MARVEL can carry on the Thor character as being a stupid, sheltered little bumbling kid? I mean one day THOR has to grow up. Not that I think having a muscle stud like THOR hang around is bad.

I was put off Trilogies in fantasy and Sci-Fi because an author took 5 years to write the third book. (No, it's not Game of Thrones). And that third book was lousy. (That happened with Dan Brown after "The DaVinci Code" - his books were progressively less interesting - the movies got worse.

Blog Entries

I have a confession to make:

As a child, I liked Spider-Man comic books. But as for the rest of the Marvel world?
    Nope.

I was a DC kid.

I only saw the first wave of awful MCU movies because my nephew, as a child, insisted on seeing them. I hated them.

As for the new ones, I have only seen Infinity War, a few other clips.

I hated them all.

I've never gone to any, but for IW, MCU movies.

And the sad thing is, other than Nicholson/Keaton in "Batman '89", I haven't liked any of the DC movies, either. They're too dark and depressing.

I could write a really good DC movie story, if someone in Hollyweird would just read it.
    Relax your clenched sphincter at Talula's.

Thread Information