Thread: PSA results

PSA results

So I have been chemically castrated a couple of times recently using Androcure. I just got back my psa results at 1.5. the previous test 12 months before was 3.2 and before that was 2.7. So a brief period of chemical castration, 2 months I think, dropped my psa to 1.5. my cloistral rocketed to 225, but I think that has more to do with me finding a great mac and cheese I lived off for a month than androcure.

110% Top, call me "SIR" TopManFL's Avatar

Re: PSA results

Hey @MikeGrant,

Was there some concern with a PSA at 3.2 and 2.7?

I'm not a doctor nor do I have any medical training. But, those numbers don't sound overly alarming. Especially if you'd been bike riding (or other activities that push on the "taint"), been constipated or engaging in anal sex play.

Were you taking the Androcur to suppress PSA?

I have a family history of aggressive life ending prostate cancer, my Father, his brother and recently a cousin. I have had one 4.2 but I was cycling a lot then . Maybe a bit pops at the results. dre had been a little worrying, but an was cuddling a lot. My recent Dr hasn't done a dream. I was just wondering if that's a normal result, chemical castration causing to drop.

So a quick search showed that drop in PSA was expected but the speed in which it happened was on the quick side. But I also think, from what others have posted, i reached castration level pretty quickly as well.

Hey @MikeGrant,

First, I'm very sorry to see how many of your family have had aggressive prostate cancer- I can imagine how you feel (I lived through the HIV crisis in San Francisco in the Late 80s and Early 90s - so, I know what it's like to see co-workers, friends, neighbors and even people I didn't like die from an unstoppable disease) and know the terror you are feeling. Being a Top and using condoms, I escaped the HIV crisis - which brings it's own survivors guilt.

But, back to your prostate.

Remember, I'm not a doctor.

Even 4.2 isn't really that concerning considering since you were bike riding a lot before the test. Then, the numbers came down (before the chem castration).

OK, back to today and my advice.

Tell your doctor everything. Seriously, there are two people on this earth you should never lie to and one of them is your doctor. Even if you think it's embarrassing or they will be upset, doctors have literally seen it all. The same doctor you might be worried about telling you're taking chem cast medications has pulled a Barbie Doll out of some dude's ass who claims he sat on it my accident.

So, make an appointment to see your doctor. Take a regular size sheet of paper and write your questions and concerns on it (I use a sharpie so there's no way to miss what the paper is). Keep it to around five questions - you'll be back and can address other concerns then.

1. Father, Brother and Cousin all died from aggressive prostate cancer.
    2. Last DRE was "concerning" - Do a DRE this visit.
    3. PSA results
    4. Taking Adrocur and PSA dropped.
    5. Prostate Biopsy?
    6. Blood test for genes that cause prostate cancer *

Your doctor isn't the school principle. They aren't going to give you detention for not following the rules. What they are going to give you is 15 minutes of their time and will be grateful that you've laid your reason for the visit out so neatly for them.

I wouldn't wish a prostate biopsy on anyone. But, there are ways to make it tolerable. Most urologists have started to either use lidocaine (like the dentist) to numb the nerves up prior to the biopsy and do it as an in office procedure or they do it in a surgical center and put you under general to do it (like a colonoscopy which 90% of doctors are now doing with general).

So, even though a prostate biopsy ain't like eating chocolate cake, they no longer just tell you to put just up with the pain - the newer methods leave you feeling either nothing or almost nothing. It also has a much higher percentage of men returning for a followup biopsy if active surveillance (formerly called watchful waiting) is the plan. Before the greater use of pain control many men swore they'd never have another prostate biopsy.

You have a right to know exactly where you stand with regards to prostate cancer. Early action could save your life - but, without information, the only thing you have is worry.

It's not easy going through cancer surgery (I've done it - thyroid not prostate), but, it beats having cancer.

---

* https://www.genehealthuk.com/services/prostategene is the website for genetic test that looks for gene mutations for prostate cancer. (My virus checker said it's safe - I did not copy the text as the site has all kinds of copyright warnings on it and the information might change).

Hi TopMan,

Thanks for the info and advice. After telling a NP and a Dr. I wanted to lower my T I got a similar answer from both. Absolutely not! They were not interested in why, which as the NP was at an LGBGTQ center I was being prescribed PrEP at for high risk life style, I was kind of surprised. They did refer me to a therapist, but we havnt discussed castration of any kind, yet. They opened a branch near me, so perhaps I will try there, otherwise I am just going to continue on the dl and pay for regular lab tests.

Hey @MikeGrant,

A Doctor or a NP (or PA as they are called in some states) can only give you advice or treatment based on accurate information.

There is a huge difference between what I think they heard and what is happening. Without an accurate understanding of what is happening and what your concerns are any doctor will just give you treatment and advice based on what they know.

From what you've written you did not say to the doctor, "I have a huge fear of prostate cancer as aggressive prostate cancer has killed three of my very close family members. Therefore, I've been purchasing chemical castration meds online and ordering lab tests using patient access companies. I want to talk about a complete workup for prostate cancer".

Trust me, that will get there attention. They can't say, "absolutely not" if you are already doing it.

The only reason I can see they'd refer you to a therapist would be if they mistakenly thought you were trans. A man with a history of aggressive prostate cancer in his close family doesn't need therapy, he needs treatment and testing.

You really do deserve better health care than you seem to be getting. Your fear of prostate cancer is causing you to self medicate and self test your liver, kidneys and blood count. But there is far more that could be done (starting with a DRE) and biopsy that would either confirm or calm your fears.

Thread Information