Thread: Finding a surgeon for vaginoplasty?

Finding a surgeon for vaginoplasty?

Was referred here from another forum due to an unusual case of mine.

So i am a very unusual case, a person who was born male, likes being male and uses male pronouns but has an issue with his genitals. Took me some time to take these feelings seriously and decided to talk to a therapist about it(Dr. Graham Peveller, since i am from southern Europe where there arent many choices) Which said he had seen similar cases and understands this and even wrote an SRS referral letter and suggested a few surgeons which sadly do not seem to be interested in my case since I do not want to take female hormones/live as a woman which is a WPATH requirement most surgeons seem to follow sadly for me.

I heard many people like me pretended to be trans and got hormones just so they can get the surgery and then changed to male hormones but i really wanted to avoid this route, outside of lying I would hate to change my masculine appearance and shave.

Another small issue is my weight, with BMI around 34 making things a little harder but I believe the weight issue is solveable if a surgeon has like 30 bmi limit.

So my question is, do you know of any surgeons that do not blindly follow the wpath standards and would be open to the idea of doing the surgery on a person who intends to remain male and use male hormones after the surgery.

And no insurance, I ll be paying for myself(Doubt that there is even an insurance that would work with my rare case)

Sometimes Silly Serious Member Zebedeee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Finding a surgeon for vaginoplasty?

Hi Ralph,

Since no ones got back to you yet I just thought that I’d say ‘Hi’ and welcome to the forum. I think that you may find that round here you’re not quite as unusual as you think!

Unfortunately I don’t know the answer to your question (Man wanting a vagina, and is prepared to pay for it - seems like a perfectly reasonable request to me. I think some of these surgeons have pretty major hang-ups and could do with therapy themselves!), but have you considered looking further afield? Maybe you’ll find what you’re after somewhere like Thailand, where they seem to be a little more open minded and especially if you have letters from a therapist may be prepared to help.

Wishing you luck in finding what you’re after,

x
    If the world was sane I wouldn’t need therapy…

Lets put aside BMIs, WPATH, costs, desires, all that. You present a very competent Urological surgeon with a mammoth task: How to place the desired orifice and, if you can get past that, how to make it as functional as I assume you'd like it to be. I trained at Groote Schuur where we did the first heart transplant and faced some of the problems you will face. Of course we knew where the heart would have to be, that was the easy part, it was the rest that was a surgical nightmare.

My suggestions would be that you arrange to have a consultation with the Urology Department of a teaching hospital. Make it very clear to them that you are NOT trying to lure them into doing anything, you are simply presenting a surgical problem and seeking their advice. Do I think they'll help? Maybe, but if word gets out that they've even consulted with you on this matter, they will be overwhelmed with persons wanting all sorts of unusual surgeries and it's attention they do not want. One might hope that they might, repeat, might, refer you to a Urologist who has some experience in what must be styled experimental surgery. Also, even if you find a team willing to undertake this, I would strongly caution you about your expectations and potential disappointment. After all, one can playfully splash water on Gibraltar hoping to make a cave but what you may end up with is not something you expected.

I do wish the best of luck and I hope that you'll keep us posted as to your progress and what discoveries you've made. Surgery is a fast evolving field now that so many tissue rejection treatments are available, who knows?

Sometimes Silly Serious Member Zebedeee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why would the surgery involved be any different from regular SRS?

I can’t see that two years or so of female hormones before having surgery changes very much, other than possibly making that male genitalia a bit smaller so giving the surgeon less to work with.
    If the world was sane I wouldn’t need therapy…

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedeee View Post
    Hi Ralph,

Since no ones got back to you yet I just thought that I’d say ‘Hi’ and welcome to the forum. I think that you may find that round here you’re not quite as unusual as you think!

Unfortunately I don’t know the answer to your question (Man wanting a vagina, and is prepared to pay for it - seems like a perfectly reasonable request to me. I think some of these surgeons have pretty major hang-ups and could do with therapy themselves!), but have you considered looking further afield? Maybe you’ll find what you’re after somewhere like Thailand, where they seem to be a little more open minded and especially if you have letters from a therapist may be prepared to help.

Wishing you luck in finding what you’re after,

x
    Yeah i have been looking internationally especially in thailand since srs is such a commonplace over there but it seems worse in thailand because it seems almost every big known surgeon follows the WPATH standards requiring a year/years of hormone/living as female and seem against doing the operation on someone who doesnt follow those standards.

The Wpath has been updated to include more non binary identities but that only removed the requirements from top surgery/orchiectomy but not for genital surgery.

Though if course i am not in the surgery world to know if some smaller surgeon would be ok with this, that is why i am trying to find such information online and trying to find people who might have knowledge of such surgeons.

Quote Originally Posted by PetJohan View Post
    Lets put aside BMIs, WPATH, costs, desires, all that. You present a very competent Urological surgeon with a mammoth task: How to place the desired orifice and, if you can get past that, how to make it as functional as I assume you'd like it to be. I trained at Groote Schuur where we did the first heart transplant and faced some of the problems you will face. Of course we knew where the heart would have to be, that was the easy part, it was the rest that was a surgical nightmare.

My suggestions would be that you arrange to have a consultation with the Urology Department of a teaching hospital. Make it very clear to them that you are NOT trying to lure them into doing anything, you are simply presenting a surgical problem and seeking their advice. Do I think they'll help? Maybe, but if word gets out that they've even consulted with you on this matter, they will be overwhelmed with persons wanting all sorts of unusual surgeries and it's attention they do not want. One might hope that they might, repeat, might, refer you to a Urologist who has some experience in what must be styled experimental surgery. Also, even if you find a team willing to undertake this, I would strongly caution you about your expectations and potential disappointment. After all, one can playfully splash water on Gibraltar hoping to make a cave but what you may end up with is not something you expected.

I do wish the best of luck and I hope that you'll keep us posted as to your progress and what discoveries you've made. Surgery is a fast evolving field now that so many tissue rejection treatments are available, who knows?
    I am a little confused, for this surgery i would be looking for some surgeons who are proficient on mtf sex reassigment surgery since they already know the procedure for what i am looking for(even though some seem to have their own variant), so i am not sure what a urological surgeon would be able to do if they havent done this procedure before.

But yeah i understand your point of people trying to keep it more of a secret so the surgeons wont be overwhelmed by people looking for other unsual surgeries, the issue is getting a private talk with the surgeons, since i cannot go for an official consultation due to geographical reasons(living in southern EU while most surgeons are in thailand/US) so my only option is usually the official email from their site which is not directly connected to the surgeon but probably some secretary.

Thread Information