Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pride Parades

Pride Parades

As a historian, I did some research on the history of Gay Pride Parades in the United States. They began after the famous police raid on the Stonewall Inn of Saturday Saturday, June 28, 1969, in the Greenwich Village section of New York City.

On Saturday, June 27, 1970, the Chicago Gay Liberation organization organized a march from Washington Square Park to the Water Tower.

On the West Coast, there was a march in Los Angeles on June 28, 1870, and on the sane day in SAn Francisco a Gay-In was held.

So, gay pride marches are nothing new, they have happened for almost fifty years now. We can thank the NYPD for over-reacting and setting in motion the events that led to the rights of gay men, lesbian women, transponders, cross dressers, etc, etc.
    Last edited by MacTheWolf; 01-24-2018 at 01:46 AM. Reason: I;m OLD dammit, OLD
    "Injustices anywhere are a threat to justice everywhere"......William Gladstone

Re: Pride Parades

Quote Originally Posted by MacTheWolf View Post
    As a historian, I did some research on the history of Gay Pride Parades in the United States. They began after the famous police raid on the Stonewall Inn of Saturday Saturday, June 28, 1969, in the Greenwich Village section of New York City.

On Saturday, June 27, 1970, the Chicago Gay Liberation organization organized a march from Washington Square Park to the Water Tower.

On the West Coast, there was a march in Los Angeles on June 28, 1870, and on the sane day in SAn Francisco a Gay-In was held.

So, gay pride marches are nothing new, they have happened for almost fifty years now. We can thank the NYPD for over-reacting and setting in motion the events that led to the rights of gay men, lesbian women, transponders, cross dressers, etc, etc.
    Thank you for that However June 28 1870?

No T Eunuch since 12/06/97

Not so much history but my first Pride parade was in the early 80's. I was home from college and was finally out to family. Having been fired for being gay before the fear of being seen on the news walking down High St. in Columbus, OH certainly sped up my pulse. Walking down the parade route many of the side streets had been blocked for through traffic. Some of the drivers looked very angry waiting for the parade to pass. In my youth and anxiety I walked down the street with those very tall buildings on both sides and I also thought about snipers but that was just a fear. We did have the joy of walking between the groups of bible thumpers on both sides of the street threatening us with damnation.

After I marched I would have good feelings and sometimes bad feelings. I would wonder if the march mattered and did we educate anyone. Sadly it was the drag queens that received the most media attention. The everyday gays in those days were not shown in the news. I learned I would never be seen so not to worry. One time after a march we gathered to listen to a speaker and a gentleman was walking through the crowd handing out safety pins. The safety pins were a reminder in those early days to play safe. He stepped in front of me, looked me up and down, sneered and walked to the next guy without giving me a safety pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie of Maine View Post
    Thank you for that However June 28 1870?
    The correct day Ernie but you're 100 years off
    "Injustices anywhere are a threat to justice everywhere"......William Gladstone

Introverts Unite!
    Separately in your own homes.

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by MacTheWolf View Post
    The correct day Ernie but you're 100 years off
    Not me check your post

Newly Active Member

Once upon a time (late '80's-early '90's) when I was MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!, I made it a point to walk in the Twin Cities L/G (BT were appended on to the acronym later) Pride Parade. I was pissed that in liberal, progressive Minnesota that the sodomy law was still on the books (if seldom enforced) and that civil rights protections were only on the books in Minneapolis (and, precariously, across the river in St. Paul). I grieved as well for those dead and dying of an epidemic that was due in part to governmental indifference.

Circa 1995, however, I began to regard "gay" pride as having been hijacked into "Corporate" Pride. Alienated by the event and the atmosphere, I stopped attending. In the passage of time, "Pride" has become less about the affirmation about the individual and the community of kindred spirits as it has become saturated in corporate messaging. The revolution is over, and proves once more that there is no failure like success. Whenever I see a rainbow flag nowadays, I take that as a sign that I should avoid such a place.

Which leads me to this question: to what extent does the Eunuch/Nullo community have a place in the rainbow flag scene? Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by neonstad View Post
    Once upon a time (late '80's-early '90's) when I was MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!, I made it a point to walk in the Twin Cities L/G (BT were appended on to the acronym later) Pride Parade. I was pissed that in liberal, progressive Minnesota that the sodomy law was still on the books (if seldom enforced) and that civil rights protections were only on the books in Minneapolis (and, precariously, across the river in St. Paul). I grieved as well for those dead and dying of an epidemic that was due in part to governmental indifference.

Circa 1995, however, I began to regard "gay" pride as having been hijacked into "Corporate" Pride. Alienated by the event and the atmosphere, I stopped attending. In the passage of time, "Pride" has become less about the affirmation about the individual and the community of kindred spirits as it has become saturated in corporate messaging. The revolution is over, and proves once more that there is no failure like success. Whenever I see a rainbow flag nowadays, I take that as a sign that I should avoid such a place.

Which leads me to this question: to what extent does the Eunuch/Nullo community have a place in the rainbow flag scene? Discuss.
    I think they are more welcome in gay circles than among straight men.

But gay men are mainly into dicks and balls for enjoying sex. So, of course most gay men are seeking men with dicks and balls.

The s n m and leather gay men do get off on body mods many times. They would be more appreciative than most groups would be of eunuchs and nullos.

There is a hidden but real current of hostility among some gay men toward bi men, and dislike between many butch and fem gay men not liking each other.

No group is completely harmonious and in lock step agreement.

Fully Qualified Member Begoneboy's Avatar

Have never been to or even seen a gay pride parade. But I've also been shunned by gays over the years since becoming nullo. Have been thrown out of bath houses both straight and gay. more often gay bath houses have asked me to leave after taking my money to use their hot tubs, sauna's and steam rooms. The gay crowd has more often than not been hostile towards me since becoming nullo.
    I would that we simply could all get along no matter what we are.
    Then and now while living the good life

I have never desired to embrace any "label", especially as it relates to my sexuality, nor would I personally care to flaunt it if I did.

Yet given the historical oppression of homosexuals in western society (i.e Oscar Wilde and Alan Turing as just two examples) I do sort of like the "in-your-face" aspect of gay pride parades.

I guess that sort of brings out the "anarchist" in me. Whoops, I just labeled myself.

Attending the Chicago pride parades was great ! You got to see the wide variety of gay men that usually blend in as being straight in most daily life. For men who love masculine men and average Joe men, that is a giant pleasure to experience. Also, the ability to openly cruise, hook up, kiss, dance, hug, and openly show man to man gay affection in streets where gay men usually can t do that without risking harrassment and violence was so wonderful and freeing to enjoy. Safety in crowds and enjoying what only straight people usually get to enjoy with society s full support and in big crowds was fantastic !

Labels help in seeking and finding the sub groups of gay and bi men that turn me on the most. Making my own labels clearly obvious to other gay and bi men certainly helps them know if they want me, if I can offer and supply what turns them on, and if its worth persuing me. It avoids a lot of wasted time and effort for me and for the men seeking what turns us on best and in what potential partners and one night stands and fuck buddies want and seek and offer.

Just experience the confusion of trying to figure out what a sea of similar looking military men are seeking and offering and who is bi or gay or straight to very quickly appreciate and value gay and bi men openly advertising their sexual preferences and their labels to each other very clearly !

Quote Originally Posted by Begoneboy View Post
    Have never been to or even seen a gay pride parade. But I've also been shunned by gays over the years since becoming nullo. Have been thrown out of bath houses both straight and gay. more often gay bath houses have asked me to leave after taking my money to use their hot tubs, sauna's and steam rooms. The gay crowd has more often than not been hostile towards me since becoming nullo.
    I would that we simply could all get along no matter what we are.
    Courtship and picking romantic or sexual partners is very ruthless and too often heartless. Its tough for everyone. Everyone gets rejected and passed over way more often then they get chosen or pursued. I think its mostly people driven by speed in finding and getting sex over kindness, and fear of rejection or of being used. Even being in high demand can be scary and tough in how to select and turn down people with so many choices wanting you.

In gay bars it is very common for the most attractive men to be lonely, unapproached, and go home alone at the end of the night. People fear attractive people will be extra picky and overly selective or stuck up and self centered. Stereotypes are what people assume about strangers.

Saunas, gay clubs and bathouses are selling access to sex with cocks and balls. Its a ruthless business decision they make to only welcome men willing to eagerly supply their dicks and balls and sex to their other paying customers. I d be rejected and kicked out of clubs or ostricized in places that have customers not seeking my type of gay man. I d be wasting their time and my time if I went where what I have to offer wasn t appreciated or desired by most of the customers there.

We all make choices in partners and dating. But hopefully we try to be kind and considerate to the people who don t turn us on when they want us. I think its just impatience and the obsession with seeking cocks and balls that you are experiencing.

I know that I prefer male only gay bars and bathouses. Any time females are allowed in, straight men are sure to follow them. Then it fouls everything up in having to guess who is straight and who is gay. Plus, women tend to make many gay men more uncomfortable and less open to mingling and approaching each other. Its like, why are straight women invading our man to man specialized hunting grounds and taking up our limited gay spaces ? I resent straight people using gay businesses when there are so few gay places and so many straight places to meet and try to hook up with partners. I also highly resent the "" I m so liberal that I m straight but I go to gay bars " kinds of attitudes and the aren t gay men so cute for us straights to watch attitudes. Finding a gay man is serious business for gay men, not a spectator sport for straight people to watch or enjoy patronizingly.

In your case nullos have no places of their own because there are so few nullos. Then it becomes what are you seeking in partners and where can you find people seeking nullos as partners.

Fully Qualified Member Begoneboy's Avatar

"In your case nullos have no places of their own because there are so few nullos. Then it becomes what are you seeking in partners and where can you find people seeking nullos as partners."

While I don't consider myself gay or straight as society puts it, I do enjoy a good hot tub, sauna and steam room. Those are not so common to find and the gay bath clubs offer a great assortment of them. Since not being female it was assumed by myself that those establishments were available to me to enjoy the facilities. If somebody with a cock and balls wanted to enjoy who I am that was also ok by me as there are pleasures to be found with and by a nullo. Unfortunately it has always been the case that after taking my money for entrance within a short while was asked to leave because of some complaint.

A little bit of consideration by a minority towards an even smaller minority would certainly go a long way towards getting along with each other on this little planet we share.
    Then and now while living the good life

Quote Originally Posted by Begoneboy View Post
    "In your case nullos have no places of their own because there are so few nullos. Then it becomes what are you seeking in partners and where can you find people seeking nullos as partners."

While I don't consider myself gay or straight as society puts it, I do enjoy a good hot tub, sauna and steam room. Those are not so common to find and the gay bath clubs offer a great assortment of them. Since not being female it was assumed by myself that those establishments were available to me to enjoy the facilities. If somebody with a cock and balls wanted to enjoy who I am that was also ok by me as there are pleasures to be found with and by a nullo. Unfortunately it has always been the case that after taking my money for entrance within a short while was asked to leave because of some complaint.

A little bit of consideration by a minority towards an even smaller minority would certainly go a long way towards getting along with each other on this little planet we share.
    I agree with what you say here. I m not sure what motivates the men who complain other than their own fear of castration and penis removal. Why else would they complain ? For all they know, you might have had injuries or medical problems that took your dick and balls from you.

I m guessing since being a nullo is so rare and anyone as open and willing to go to a gay bathouse as you is even more rare, the desk clerks are too confused to know how to handle you or any complaints about you. I m guessing its more shock and not knowing what to do than any decision thought out by the owner or anyone but a work and hassle avoiding front desk clerk asking you to leave.

I admire your openess and being willing to go naked proudly in front of people. Its too bad people don t appreciate your bravery and getting to see you naked and unembarrassed and learn from it. People fear what they don t understand. And most people don t understand your body, so they react in fear and denial of having to deal with it or see you naked. Human shortcommings and emotional fear.

Thread Information