Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wish me luck

Newly Active Member

Smile Wish me luck

So I finally found a local urologist that performs orchiectomys. she is lgbtq friendly so I hope that helps. I have an appointment on the 20th for initial consultation. Any pointers that helped you others out? I was scheduling my appointment and the nurse asked what i was looking for I told her an orchiectomy she said hang on a second and left i was getting a bit nervous about that. but I dress as a woman everyday since I am MTF transgender so maybe shes confused lol. anyhow she comes back five minutes later or so and says she just spoke with the doctor and yes she does that procedure, she also said that the doctor said my dress looked nice! so I am hoping for good news after the 20th.

Re: Wish me luck

Good luck on your first official visit!

Newly Active Member

Luck Luck!

Very best of luck!

Nullo Since June 23, 2015 Losethem's Avatar

That is positive. The doctor made gender affirming comments, and that's a good sign.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Newly Active Member

Well had my appointment the doctor was very understanding, she can do the surgery either scrotal or inguinal I am thinking the second would be better? I do have to go see and get 2 referral letters first though, but good news is that the clinic I went to has mental health providers who can get me said letters. First appointment is next Friday with the first provider. I asked about cost, was told around 6000. while yes this is more then dr.arnkof charges I will only be a 10 minute drive to my house from the surgical center I will have local contacts for follow up procedures. I figure with dr A cost plus travel costs stress and headaches of the logistics It will be easier for me plus as stated I will have the same doctor for everything from initial consultation to surgery to follow ups. So one hurdle down a few more to go!

That's good to hear Walterrat

Hope all goes well for you xx

Newly Active Member

Close proximity is always good! Hope all goes well for you.
    Last edited by shydudexx; 11-03-2017 at 03:29 AM.

Newly Active Member

Well had my appointment for first visit with mental health provider, He gave me the green light said yes I have gender dysphoria. He said he sees no reason why I should not be able to go ahead with surgery. He is also going to help me with setting up my secondary mental health appointment so now I wait for that. I certainly am feeling better about life in general now though.

Quote Originally Posted by walterrat View Post
    Well had my appointment the doctor was very understanding, she can do the surgery either scrotal or inguinal I am thinking the second would be better? I do have to go see and get 2 referral letters first though, but good news is that the clinic I went to has mental health providers who can get me said letters. First appointment is next Friday with the first provider. I asked about cost, was told around 6000. while yes this is more then dr.arnkof charges I will only be a 10 minute drive to my house from the surgical center I will have local contacts for follow up procedures. I figure with dr A cost plus travel costs stress and headaches of the logistics It will be easier for me plus as stated I will have the same doctor for everything from initial consultation to surgery to follow ups. So one hurdle down a few more to go!
    A couple of thoughts; if I had the option of inguinal or scrotal incisions, I would have gone inguinal especially after having messed with the cord ends now for some time. I think the left one is adhered to the scrotum but it really doesn't cause an issue except on very rare occasion.

Now if you consider the options for the procedure, mine was done through my scrotum with a mid-line incision through which both testicles were removed. It was done in Dr. A's office under local anesthetic. I elected to go this way and did not even inquire about and inguinal approach as that requires hospitalization with the procedure done under a general anesthetic.

So at a price tag of 6000, and I do not know which currency you're talking about, but that would seem a lot for a local anesthetic but about right for a hospital general anesthesia procedure. So are they going to do the procedure under a general or local anesthesia? If both, then I'd definitely take the inguinal. If through the scrotum, it seems like a lot of money for a procedure that can be done with a local anesthetic.

110% Top, call me "SIR" TopManFL's Avatar

First congrats on finding a great doctor.

If you are looking for a full MTF sexual reassignment surgery (SRS) later on then, I'd find out if the scrotal incision would interfere in that process. Other than the testicles in SRS nothing is wasted.

But, as a person that has five abdominal incisions from other surgeries I'd avoid any abdominal incisions if possible.

Two more things, assuming the scar on the mid line of the scrotum won't interfere with SRS then, after SRS you would be left with no scars.

Lastly, an inguinal incision would require full anesthesia or an epidural. Where as a scrotal incision could be done with a local. I'd go for not having the full anesthesia if possible. Anesthesia is very safe, but adds quite a bit to the cost. Find out how much of that $6,000 the doctor was including for anesthesia and if using a local would lower that cost.

Newly Active Member

Going in for my second mental health exam today, was supposed to be next week but I was on the standby list so happy news for me to be getting in earlier.

Newly Active Member

Smile Re: Wish me luck

I had my second mental health appointment I got the approval so now I have 2 approval letters just need to go back to the urologist and schedule the appointment for surgery. I am going to get the inguinal procedure I don't want to have potential side effects from scrotal,
    (A couple of thoughts; if I had the option of inguinal or scrotal incisions, I would have gone inguinal especially after having messed with the cord ends now for some time. I think the left one is adhered to the scrotum but it really doesn't cause an issue except on very rare occasion.)
    Yes it will be done in a hospital under general anesthesia. I have no insurance so I would imagine that plays into cost as well. I am fighting with the V.A. over this as well.
    Screw you V.A.this is bullshit! A direct quote from the V.A. guide for transgender patients,
    "All health services are provided to transgender Veterans without discrimination in a manner consistent with care and management of all Veteran patients."
    So according to this I should be treated like any other veteran!
    If I had erectile dysfunction the V.A. would put an implant in so I could pump it up so to say, end result would be thus increasing my mental health feelings (So they will insert a foreign body into a person thus potentially causing sever medical issues, um ok)
    But I want to have a natural part of my body removed nope V.A. wont do it my end result would be the same as above end gain of mentally feeling better.
    Now to me this would seem to contradict the first paragraph, no?

Fully Qualified Member T van Keel's Avatar

What?!? You got your approval letter after only one consultation? Seems to me the therapists in your area don't work very conscientiously​... At least in Germany you won't find any therapist willing to write an approval letter after just one consultation, it will take months or even years.

Quote Originally Posted by T van Keel View Post
    What?!? You got your approval letter after only one consultation? Seems to me the therapists in your area don't work very conscientiously​... At least in Germany you won't find any therapist willing to write an approval letter after just one consultation, it will take months or even years.
    Well, I think it really depends on how you "present" at the consultation. I mean there are certainly people who are very obviously transgender which you could certainly assess quickly. And also depending on how you discuss your desire it can usually be determined how serious and appropriate a surgery would be. I don't think that is necessarily a lack of "conscientiousness".

Thread Information