Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Christianity and Castration

Re: Christianity and Castration

Quote Originally Posted by Eunuchorn View Post
    Thanks, interesting article and a excellent discussion.

Re: Christianity and Castration

It seems that a lot of people who read Matthew 19:12 can't accept the literal meaning. It's really not that hard to understand why that is. In verse 11 Jesus said that "But he said to them, Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given." (Mt 19:11 ESV). I don't worry about it. People who can't accept what verse 12 says just haven't been given the ability to do so. No big deal.

For me, this is the main reason I became a eunuch. On the morning of my surgery, I thanked God that I was one of the few who were able to accept the saying.

Now that I am a eunuch, I continue to thank God for his Word and for the option to become a eunuch.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongMary View Post
    I did not choose to become a eunuch for religious reasons but I am interested in the religious aspect. I read https://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=773828 and it seems to me that the average man's terror of castration causes him to re-interpret the scriptures to an absurd degree.

A man wrote in the Catholic forum that he wanted to be a eunuch. The response was that he is a sinful self-mutilator. Another man pointed out that Jesus said "... there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven". The response was "Whoa!! Jesus is talking about celibacy, a kind of making oneself an effective eunuch."

It seems to me that Jesus was not trying to confuse people. If he had not meant literal castration, he would have said so. After all, he also said things like "... if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell".

Surely, amputating a body part to save a life is a blessing, not a sinful mutilation. Similarly, amputating a body part to save a soul should be even more of a blessing. A eunuch must be less sinful than someone who sires abandoned children, or rapes, or sexually abuses anyone against their will. The Roman Catholic church would have been getting better press if some priests had been castrated instead of hoping that prayer alone would stop them from abusing children.

Like I said, my own desire for castration is not religious, but I would like to know what other people think about the subject.

Thread Information