Thread: What's a testicle worth?

What's a testicle worth?

Pennsylvania man awarded $870,000 after doctor removes wrong testicle

Dan Gunderman
    New York Daily News
    16 June 2017

A Pennsylvania man has been awarded $870,000 after a doctor removed the wrong testicle during a surgery in 2013, according to Fox 43.

Steven Hanes, 54, of Mount Union, Pa., was operated on to remove a painful right testicle, after experiencing pain for years. Medical imaging showed that the testicle was nearly half the size of the other, the same outlet reports.

However, Hanes discovered that his left testicle — the healthy one — had been removed in the procedure.

A Pennsylvania jury allowed for Hanes to receive $620,000 in compensatory damages and $250,000 in punitive damages.

The latter part of that award is a result of the jury finding the surgeon, Dr. Valley Spencer Long, “recklessly indifferent” in his treatment of Hanes, Fox 43 writes.

It is the first medical malpractice verdict in the immediate area in at least 25 years.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pa-man-awarded-850-000-doctor-removes-wrong-testicle-article-1.3253079
    Nature loves variety. Unfortunately, society hates it.

Re: What's a testicle worth?

Shame it had to happen to someone who wanted to keep their healthy ball.

I wonder if someone without children would receive more compensation than someone with children.

Blog Entries

Thats what you would call a total result for a member of this group get neutered and trouser $870,000 nice.
    Even for a straight healthy guy this settlement seems a bit extreme and it can only impact on insurance premiums further down the line.

No T Eunuch since 12/06/97 tugon's Avatar

A wrong side surgery is inexcusable. Pre surgery many are annoyed when they are asked many time which hip is being replaced, which lung, which kidney is being removed. It is a safety check. It is not the insurance premiums for the patient that will increase but the malpractice insurance for the doctor. As many know even with T replacement you are never quite the same. When your life is altered in a way you would never choose for yourself I think the settlement is fair. Remember the attorney will take his share so the victim of the botched surgery will not receive all the money stated.
    Tugon (two gone)

Introverts Unite!
    Separately in your own homes.

Fully Qualified Member

That surgery result would have been perfectly fine and dandy for me, as my doctor correctly removed my right testicle, and is doing the wait-and-see routine on the left testicle, although I'd rather have both removed during one surgery.

Thread Information