Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: American Gods (limited series on STARZ)

I really do look like my avatar Dave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

American Gods (limited series on STARZ)

American Gods on STARZ is a limited series based on the novel of the same name by Neil Gaiman. It began its run tonight...

It is a trip.

We are introduced to Shadow Moon, an ex convict released from prison 5 days early because his wife was killed in an auto accident and as he travels to her funeral, he meets Mr Wednesday (Ian McShane), Mad Sweeney, Technical Boy, Audrey (his wife's BFF),
    We meet Bilquis and some assorted Vikings.

It is a stylish and amazing story, although, like Shadow Moon, you may not know what is going on until 3 or 4 episodes but the ride is exquisite and breathtaking.
    “They also call it the Winged Isle. Some say it is because the island, if seen from above, would look like butterfly wings. And I do not know the truth of it.” Then, “ ‘And what is truth?’ said jesting Pilate.” From: The Truth Is A Cave In The Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman.

smokes Re: American Gods (limited series on STARZ)

Leave it to Starz to screw up what could have been an entertaining series.

I tried to watch it but the stench was too great. HBO could have done a better job of it.

Moi

Blog Entries

Re: American Gods (limited series on STARZ)

So you didn't like it.

OK.

I liked it and intend to watch all of it.
    “They also call it the Winged Isle. Some say it is because the island, if seen from above, would look like butterfly wings. And I do not know the truth of it.” Then, “ ‘And what is truth?’ said jesting Pilate.” From: The Truth Is A Cave In The Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    So you didn't like it.

OK.

I liked it and intend to watch all of it.
    Spartacus by STARZ

or

Rome by HBO

"It" wasn't the problem.
    The problem is STARZ productions.

Moi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moi621 View Post
    Spartacus by STARZ
    or
    Rome by HBO
    "It" wasn't the problem.
    The problem is STARZ productions.
    Moi
    I liked SPARTACUS and I haven't watched ROME so I don't have any opinion on ROME.

That's like -- I liked the first season of UNDER THE DOME and hated the second season so bad I only watched one show of it. Call me quirky.
    It's like -- I like Wagnerian Opera but I don't like Handel's operas.

I liked SPARTACUS and I haven't watched ROME so I don't have any opinion on ROME.

That's like -- I liked the first season of UNDER THE DOME and hated the second season so bad I only watched one show of it. Call me quirky.
    It's like -- I like Wagnerian Opera but I don't like Handel's operas.
    Not having watched Rome is like not having watched Deadwood.

Last I checked they were both on TubiTV for free. No registration, credit card or nothing.

Moi

Blog Entries

Episode 2 -
    Mr Wednesday's real name was mentioned.
    Czernobog (yeah, Czernobog) the man with the hammer who works at a slaughterhouse killing cattle was introduced...
    We've all missed Czernobog ... haven't we...
    he lives with Zorya Vechernyaya -- who is played by a 91 year old Cloris Leachman who is just spectacular. Her performance really stood out. The lady still has the magic to draw that camera and hold the audience.

The opening featured Anansi giving a stunning speech to slaves on a Dutch Trading ship centuries ago.

And Bilquis is bisexual

Episode 2 -
    Mr Wednesday's real name was mentioned.
    Czernobog (yeah, Czernobog) the man with the hammer who works at a slaughterhouse killing cattle was introduced...
    We've all missed Czernobog ... haven't we...
    he lives with Zorya Vechernyaya -- who is played by a 91 year old Cloris Leachman who is just spectacular. Her performance really stood out. The lady still has the magic to draw that camera and hold the audience.

The opening featured Anansi giving a stunning speech to slaves on a Dutch Trading ship centuries ago.

And Bilquis is bisexual
    I'm not watching this show, Dave, but at your mention of Cloris Leachman, I just had to chime in and say it's great to hear she's still performing. I remember her and Betty White (also still performing) as a boy in the 70s and 80s, although I know they were performing long before then. These are classy, talented ladies who defined great television. Looks like they're still doing so. God love 'em.

Blog Entries

Episode 3 -- On the road to Wisconsin with Mr Wednesday and Shadow Moon

I can't really do justice describing tidbits of this episode. It is complicated.
    It does explain itself and resolve.

Blog Entries

Episode 4 - GIT GONE

There is nothing like this on TV right now. It is stunning. It is literate. It is a joy and a thrill to watch.

PS - tonight's episode was spectacularly good.

PPS - the episode explains Laura Moon's life and ties many loose ends from the beginning episode.

Now we begin to see the Gods reveal themselves in their power and glory.

Blog Entries

Episode 5 - LEMON SCENTED YOU ...

A peace offer is made from the new gods to the old.

We find out more about Mad Sweeney and Laura Moon.

A tree grows in a police station. (seriously)

Blog Entries

Episode #6 -- A MURDER OF GODS

The peace offering having been rejected, Mr Wednesday goes to Vulcan the God of Fire for a sword. Vulcan has franchised his armory and now makes guns and bullets.

Much more happens between the Leprechaun, Laura Moon, and the Djinn's victim.

The opening segment is about a Mexican Jesus.

Yggdrasil is still hanging around.

Blog Entries

Episode 7 - A PRAYER FOR MAD SWEENEY

Tonight's episode of AMERICAN GODS is the story of Mad Sweeney, the Leprechaun, who lost his lucky coin to Shadow Moon and has to get it back from Laura Moon. Anubis tells the tale of Essie McGowan to Mr Ibus in their funeral home.
    It is told in parallel histories of colonial times and the duo of Mad Sweeney and Laura Moon as they journey to meet up with Mr Wednesday and the other Gods at "The House on the Rock." That's where the war of the Gods will take place.

It is an elegant tale, an elegy for the travelers Laura Moon and Mad Sweeney.

Blog Entries

It is Neil Gaiman's premise that the gods did not create man but rather man created the gods and brought the gods to life.
    This is the one thing that will help anyone understand AMERICAN GODS as each episode unfolds.

I don't really get the point of the Muslim character, the cab driver. How does he and the Djinn fit in?

Thread Information