Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: American Gods (limited series on STARZ)

I really do look like my avatar Dave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: American Gods (limited series on STARZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Pup View Post
    I don't really get the point of the Muslim character, the cab driver. How does he and the Djinn fit in?
    I'm not sure yet.
    The Jinn (or Djinn , or Ifrit) is one of Mr Wednesday's friends. He is one of the Old Gods and every night he used to visit the City of Ubar (now lost) and be worshipped by the visitors (reported several thousand travelers visited Ubar every night).

Remember in the prior episode when Mr Wednesday sends Shadow Moon out for a few supplies?
    In that bar sequence, Shadow Moon passes the Jinn and the Jinn's eyes flame. The Jinn and Mr Wednesday had a meeting.
    Last edited by Dave; 06-14-2017 at 02:35 AM.
    “They also call it the Winged Isle. Some say it is because the island, if seen from above, would look like butterfly wings. And I do not know the truth of it.” Then, “ ‘And what is truth?’ said jesting Pilate.” From: The Truth Is A Cave In The Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman.

Thanks Dave!

Blog Entries

Tonight will be the EIGHTH episode and this first season's finale.

I know this from the preview:
    Anansi makes a second appearance
    Ostara the pagan goddess that was celebrated EASTER before Christianity.
    Another Jesus (no not our Jesus) and NO, not the Mexican Jesus of a previous episode. There are several Jesus in the book American Gods.

There's a very large orgy scene that reveals the origin of Bilquis (you know her as the Queen of Sheba). Explicit sex.

Gillian Anderson appeared in her character of MEDIA ala Judy Garland in Easter Parade.

There is a big-ass, profoundly important Laura Moon reveal. (remember her? That's Shadow Moon's wife who died with her lover's dick in her mouth and has come back from the dead thanks to Mad Sweeney's lucky gold-piece.)

Technology Boy appears and reveals stuff. (no spoilers, now)

Trees -- yes, there are trees. (now why would say that? (...oooooooohhhhhhhh lala, he knows something else)

And threes (A rhyme)... Shadow's sentence to prison was three years. Shadow sealed his deal with Mr Wednesday with three shots. Shadow, Laura and her lover are a triangle)

It promises to be a big night.
    “They also call it the Winged Isle. Some say it is because the island, if seen from above, would look like butterfly wings. And I do not know the truth of it.” Then, “ ‘And what is truth?’ said jesting Pilate.” From: The Truth Is A Cave In The Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman.

Blog Entries

And all the parts of the story fall into place.

AMERICAN GODS first season has been like a mystery -- who is who and why are they all here -- where suddenly, after seeing all the individual pieces of the mystery fall into place. The strange visions, the flashback sequences, why Mr Wednesday wants Shadow Moon, and what exactly are the stakes for the meeting at the House on the Rock.

It is all in place, just to END for the season..GRRRrrrrr

It helps that I know something about Norse mythology so I knew who Wednesday was from the beginning. So that helped me follow a lot more easily than if it had been the Greek myths.

Blog Entries

This is the passage from Neil Gaiman's novel where Mr. Wednesday reveals himself to Shadow Moon (who is to be his believer and paladin) as Odin, god of the Vikings. The god that Lief Ericsson brought to America. In the TV adaptation, we do see the Viking discovery of America. This is their god. Like the many versions of Jesus, there is another Odin as god of the Norsemen, and there was a Wotan as god of the Nibelung.

Mr Wednesday speaks:

"Do you know me, Shadow?" said Wednesday. He rode his wolf with his head high. His right eye glittered and flashed, his left eye was dull. He wore a cloak, with a deep, monk-like cowl, and his face stared out from the shadows.
    "I told you I would tell you my names. This is what they call me. I am called Glad-of-War, Grim, Raider, and Third. I am One-eyed. I am Called Highest, and True-Guesser. I am Grimnir, and I am the Hooded One. I am All-Father, and I am Gondlir Wand-bearer. I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. My ravens are Thought and Memory; my wolves are Freki and Geri; my horse is the gallows."
    Two ghostly-gray ravens, like transparent skins of birds, landed on Wednesday's shoulders, pushed their beaks into the side of Wednesday's head as if tasting his mind, and flapped out into the world once more.

And that scene is repeated in the eight episode of the TV adaptation with a few changes and lots of visual effects.

Blog Entries

Common everyday things are named after the Old Gods ...

The Sun and the Moon are celebrated as Sunday and Monday. It is mentioned that Shadow Moon was given the Sun and the Moon.

Wednesday is Wodin's Day, the Norse god. He is god of storms. He crucified himself on Yggdrasil -- the Norse World Ash, the giant mythological Tree that holds together the Nine Worlds or realms of existence -- to gain wisdom and knowledge. He sacrificed his left eye to see into the future.

Thursday is the day of Thor in the Norse tradition. The ancient Romans called it Dies-Jovis or Jupiter's Day. In German, it is Donnerstag or Donner's Day. Donner was a son of Wotan and we see him in Wagner's Ring Cycle.

Friday is named for the goddess Frigg. In Old High German frigedag ... The Romans called it Dies Veneris after the goddess Venus.
    Saturday is named for Saturn, the planet and the ancient Romans. In Anglo-Saxon it was sater-daeg.

Ostara the goddess of the Spring. Ēostre in Anglo-Saxon. Worship of her was coordinated with the Vernal Equinox. Spring is rebirth, the world turns green from the death of winter.

Bilquis, the Queen of Sheba is mentioned in the Bible, the Quran, and in history. She was Queen of Saba, of southern Arabia which is now Yemen. She is also the legendary Queen of Ethiopia and appears in the Kebra Nagast. ISIS or DAESCH (the modern terrorists) destroyed the Temple of Bel at Palmyra and the novel American Gods associates Bilquis

Anansi (who is Mister Nancy in American Gods) is from the West African and Caribbean folklore. He often takes the shape of a spider. His tales originated in what is now Ghana. He addresses slaves on a slave ship coming from Africa in the TV adaptation of American Gods.

Anubis appears in American Gods. Anubis is the Jackal-headed god of the ancient Egyptians. He is the undertaker and is associated with Egyptian funeral customs. One of his prominent roles was as a god who ushered souls into the afterlife. He attended the weighing scale during the "Weighing of the Heart," in which it was determined whether a soul would be allowed to enter the realm of the dead.

That's enough mythology for tonight.

Thanks Dave, this will be good reference for season two!

the american gods series was decent, but i enjoyed the book more than the series. niel gaiman wrote one of my favorite doctor who episodes from the matt smith era, the doctor's wife.

Thread Information