Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi new here mtf my orchiectomy from Arnkoff March 2017

Olgaorchi

Hi new here mtf my orchiectomy from Arnkoff March 2017

Hello this is anew account but I wanted to post my orchiectomy experience with Dr. Arnkoff this was done in March of this year. So I am about a month after the surgery. So here we go.
    1. First call the doctor and ask all of your questions you can think of in your first phone call. The doctor is very chill and he likes to text and keep things short after the initial call. He is nice and very available by phone which is great. it can be a little scary to trust someone that is far away but it nice to be able to talk to him.
    So get your flight and hotel rent a car etc. We stayed in the Fairfield inn and suites in Farmington Hills This was a great choice it was very near a lot of food options and about 6 minutes away from the office.
    3.Before the surgery you will stop hormones a week before i am a transwoman so those of you not on E or who are male to eunuch should be fine to do whatever. The morning of the surgery shave everything even more than you think they will work on I wanted everything clean and smooth so take your time.
    4 when you get there you will fill out some paperwork and pay him. It was 3000$ I used a cashier's check from the bank and it was fine. The office is nice and looks like a dentist office and the building is nice and new looking. You, the doctor, the assistant and whoever you bring with you will be the only people there. He will lock the door and it will be quiet and private feeling.
    First comes the shots I warned the doctor that I was a fainter he gave me a smelling salts to sniff if I felt off. More on this later. I got undressed but kept the top and socks on. He put on his Ipod and other patient reviews said he let you pick the music but this time he put on the Spotify Disney station which was funny. I got 4 or 5 shots medium pain not bad. Then you lay there for about 15 minutes as you go numb listening to Disney.

Surgery. After a wipe down with iodine the cutting starts. The thing I did not expect was feeling the blood running down between my legs and on my thighs. These areas are not numb and you can tell they are doing cutting but you will feel liquid. I was lightheaded and it the smelling salts for the first time. They were not as strong as I thought and the nurse gave me another. He started pulling and cutting you can feel pressure and tugging up in the abdomen and feel the tissue change shape weird I am a fainter and started to moan and feel the cold on sweats befoe fainting. I let them know, hit the smelling salt. I heard the cutting sound of the cords being scissored ( protip bring your own headphones so you cant hear the cutting) and lost it. I didn't eat before on advice of the doctor and dry heaved into a bucket the nurse grabbed but I didn't get anything up. The nurse layed me down and got a wet towel for my head and the oxygen mask. The oxygen was amazing and a total game changer and I was relaxed and sleepy the rest of the surgery.

I was stitched up good and tight and given the prescriptions t take to the drugstore. There are walgreens and cvs places everywhere so pick one and eat right away. At your hotel ice it up and watch tv. Keep on top of your meds and eat. I felt starving the first 2 days and I took an anti nausea medication in the mornings, You will feel like there is one boot stomping on your upper pelvis and another loged in your scrotum.And you will swell. Day 1 not bad day 2 when you wake your bits will be swolled, hard and sore and turn a purple black and blue. I was very surprised by the color change I was bLack and purple from hip to hip even to the tip of my penis extensive extreme bruises. Chane the pads while you bleed and stay on top of the meds. Get a wheelchair when you fly because you will shuffle like a grandma. 7up and clear pop has been a lifesaver for blood sugar and rehydrating. You will be dry. Constipation will happen on the painkillers so get some softener and laxative. Its hard to tell when you need to pee eat or are in pain.There is a lot of brusing and soreness I couldn't move fast and was basically in bed taking care of this horrible looking penis for a week. he signed a return to work for for me and suggested 2 weeks.
    I got an still have massive hematoma on both sides. My left side was almost lemon sized and has now shrunk to maybe walnut. The right side was maybe ping pong ball sized and is now about almond sized. The stitches hurt when the skin swelled but when they came out it was much better. I had a lot of on and off pain but I think I'm just a bad healer. So I'm happy with my castration and definitely don't feel as if I made the wrong choice healing has been tough though.

I'm back on my normal mtf HRT and my levels are in the female range for everything. I'm looking forward to my cute smaller genital size and am going to let the scrotal skin shrink and not stretch for future srs. I am considering penectomy for Dr Arnkoff after seeing Henrich's posts. Unfortunately Dr Arnkoff had not been quick about getting my post surgery document and needed to be pestered a little for things as he is very laid back. Don't expect him to go out of his way for you at all. Remember you are still a paycheck to him.
    Feel free to ask questions I may be slow as I still am learning how to use the board.
    Olga

Love to Chat and I am not shy! baldwin92's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Hi new here mtf my orchiectomy from Arnkoff March 2017

Thanks for the info. I have been texting with the good doctor and pretty much all that is left is setting the date.
    Last edited by baldwin92; 04-19-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Olgaorchi

Hey good luck! I am hoping my hematoma resolves in a week or two and then I will be done. You get a little preview of how it will look after he wipes you down.

Congratulations. I went to him for both my penectomy and nullo surgeries

Congratulations!

Congratulations Olga!
    How long were you at HRT berore surgery? And why should you stop HRT a week before?
    Your name looks as Russian of at least Slavic one, are you so?

Olgaorchi

I have been on HRT for 2 years and I have changed my name, legal gender docs and all that. So after my transitions big steps were done, the castration was a smart move to stop the T production.
    The name Olga is a nickname although it is similar to my real name, and I have some unknown Eastern European ancestry but my grandmother doesn't really know her family history. So Slavic probably and probably a bunch of other bits.

Olgaorchi

eab221 I saw your thread congrats! How long we're you there total with the rerouting and all?

Did they give you Valium and Vicodin before the procedure?

Anyone have experience on his reaction to people self medicating on CPA?

Nullo Since June 23, 2015 Losethem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranBoy View Post
    Did they give you Valium and Vicodin before the procedure?

Anyone have experience on his reaction to people self medicating on CPA?
    Doctors generally prescribe pain management for surgery after care. However, you're going to have a rough road if they catch you self-medicating. So if you are, I'd knock it off.

They will be asking you about anything you're taking either prescribed, over the counter supplements, or illegal. If you hide ANY of it, and they consent to doing surgery on you, and something they prescribe interacts with it and causes you difficulty (or worse, death), it WILL be on you.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

FULLY Qualified Member Hopeful1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andy4ever View Post
    How long were you at HRT berore surgery? And why should you stop HRT a week before?
    Most doctors want estrogen stopped before surgery due to the possibility of blood clots. In the case of Gender Correction Surgery, every doctor I know of will require the patient to stop hormones. I wasn't on HRT prior to my orchiectomy last year (Orchi 4/26, HRT 6/2) so nothing was said by my urologist but had I been, I'm sure I would have had to stop.
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity - Robert A. Heinlein
    April 26, 2016

Olgaorchi

I was giver Hydrocodone and antibiotics after surgery. During surgery it was numbing injections and oxygen so I would stop passing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Losethem View Post
    Doctors generally prescribe pain management for surgery after care. However, you're going to have a rough road if they catch you self-medicating. So if you are, I'd knock it off.

They will be asking you about anything you're taking either prescribed, over the counter supplements, or illegal. If you hide ANY of it, and they consent to doing surgery on you, and something they prescribe interacts with it and causes you difficulty (or worse, death), it WILL be on you.

I believe many people here are self medicating with cyproterone acetate as a trial before going the surgical route. Was just wondering if anyone brought this up with him and how he reacted.

Was also wondering if he gives out valium and Vicodin before the procedure, I've had a few smaller procedures and that seemed to be standard procedure, really helps with the anxiety.

I am sorry to say, but your surgery results are not acceptable. Lemon sized hematomas? Bruised from hip to hip? This sounds like butchery. A proper orchiectomy should have almost no bleeding, a he,atoma indicates he did not double suture the cord stumps or some other such nonsense. In a hospital setting, they cautarize the tissues immediately to staunch bleeding. Does he do electrocautery? does he have an assistant? Watch any orchiectomy video on YouTube and you will see proper castration trchnique. Sorry if I sound judgemental, but I personally would not go to yhis doctor after reading you experience.

Olgaorchi

Yeah my hematomas are much smaller now. I started to take to squeezing them pretty forcefully after using a hot water bottle. He had a nurse assistant but he did no cauterizing. I was not too happy with my extensive bruising and I was black and purple all the way to the tip of my penis. He has also been very slow and uncommunicative with regards to my post surgery letter it has been over a month now and I have reminded him several times. I had a very odd textured scrotum after due to the swelling and hematoma size. I can really press on them and feel nothing it has really helped to shrink them.
    My hematoma on the left is maybe acorn sized and my normal doc at the gender clinic was still shocked at the size a month later. She said it was good that it was shrinking but she said to maybe see a urologist to receive an injection to help real it up. I may do that soon. I have been considering a penectomy but at this point I would not go to Arnkoff again.

Thread Information