Thread: Introduction - New Member

Introduction - New Member

Greetings,

I am new here and would like to take this space to introduce myself to the community. I am 'Want2BRight' and found EA through research regarding medical relief from my long-term, physical suffering.

I am a straight, healthy, active, male and father of a grown child, and have a supportive wife. I am seeking per-castration information, facts, guidance in my decision making, and found EA resources very well written and documented so far.

I have not discussed my issue with my GP yet mostly out of embarrassment.

But I have been in terrible groin pain since my early 20's. I think my anatomy is normal and there is no trauma or history of disease.

I do enjoy intimacy and sex but it can be very painful for me and was embarrassing to mention while dating.

I am a stomach sleeper and the pressure has been unbearable causing many sleepless nights. I use wedges to raise my hips at night to help reduce my groin pressure to limited success. Walking, hiking, and even sitting is very uncomfortable with a general ache to nauseating spikes that I have to stop work just to catch my breath.

During annual exams, my doctor has not detected anything abnormal and my blood work has been unremarkable.

I am researching bilateral Orchiectomy for relief and understand the side-effects as a desirable treatment with many benefits. I am not seeking feminization or MTF transition. But I am concerned about some of the reported issues and have some other questions that maybe some members can help me with.

Some of my questions are, 1) do I need HRT?, 2) how to prevent gynecomastia, 3) Risk for Diabetes, 4) Scalp hair changes, 5) who does medical referrals, and 6) are there financial resources available for U.S. citizens?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Want2BRight

Re: Introduction - New Member

Welcome to the zoo. I think you'll get some good advice here as well as friendship.

The fact that your physician has not found anything unusual that would account for your pain makes me wonder whether you've discussed the details of your pain with him. If you're a 50-year-old father of a grown child but have had the pain since you were dating, I would think something would have become obvious in a physical by now. That makes me wonder whether the problem is not in your genitals per se but in your habits or your environment. I would hope that you would explore other explanations thoroughly before becoming focused exclusively on castration.

I'm reminded of an old joke. Forgive me. I'm not making light of your problem or your proposed course of action, but the joke makes a point you need to consider carefully. Castration is a one-way trip, and you don't want to screw it up.

A guy has had intense migraine headaches for years and finally persuades his doctor to perform a castration. A few weeks later, he's feeling depressed, and he goes back to the doctor. "It's understandable," the doctor says. "Many who've had orchiectomies report depression. Tell you what to do. I know this super tailor. Here's his card. Go see him and get yourself a nice suit. Looking good does wonders for one's disposition."

So the guy goes to the tailor. The tailor takes one look at him and writes down some remarks on his note pad, then tells the guy his suit will be ready in a week.

"Aren't you going to take measurements?" the guy asks. "This is very important. I don't want you to screw it up."

"I've been in the business for 40 years," the tailor says. I can tell by looking at you what your measurements are."

"If you're so smart, tell me, What size Jockey shorts do I wear?"

"Forty waist," the tailor says without batting an eye.

"You see?" the guy says. "You'd have screwed it up. I wear a 36."

The tailor chuckles. "If you wore 36-waist shorts, they'd pull your balls up so tight you'd get migraine headaches."

Sandi

Nullo Since June 23, 2015 Losethem's Avatar

As a guy who has had his removed, and though I'm a nullo now (no penis or testicles), I lived for 11 years as a eunuch (man with no balls, but a penis). Here is my observation: Other than the fact that removing your testicles will make you sterile, nothing really changes so long as you take synthetic testosterone after your testicles are removed. You'll still get hard, you'll still shoot cum, overall you'll just be sterile and have no balls in your bag. At 50, I'm guessing you've used yours for reproduction/making babies, and are probably done with that, but if you have any desire to father more children do not get your balls removed.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you'll need HRT unless you don't mind losing interest in sex. One of the things that happens is you lose the balls, you lose testosterone. Lose testosterone and don't replace it, you'll lose interest in sex. It's strange actually, while you think you might miss it, the fact that your drive goes down makes sex become a pleasant memory, and you remember how enjoyable it was, but you also don't care much if you do it. You're not driven to it. Take Testosterone, and that changes and you'll be much like you are now, as mentioned before - still have erections, still shoot cum and orgasm.

2. I think if you're relatively fit now, and continue your routine (assuming you take testosterone after) you'll likely continue to be physically as you are now. Gynemocastia could be a concern, but not likely.

3. Not sure, doubt you'd have any more risk for diabetes than you do now.

4. Scalp hair changes, without testosterone replacement you'll likely stop hair loss in it's tracks. With testosterone replacement, you'll lose hair as you would with functional testicles.

5. Not sure about medical referrals. The unfortunate reality seems to be that doctors will do everything possible to save your testicles even if you have pain and would prefer their removal. I swear, those things could be on fire, and they'd figure out how to save them.

6. only financial resources available to US citizens are those covered by any health insurance they have. If your health plan covers it, you're good. If not, you're cash pay and on your own. There is a doctor in Michigan who will remove your testicles, little to no questions asked. I think he's about $3,000 for it these days (someone else correct me if I'm wrong). So that fee, plus travel, lodging, medication, and food expenses for some time in Michigan. After they are out, your home doctor will see this as a condition to be treated and testosterone will be easier to obtain. Though you may need to get it preapproved on your prescription plan. Cash payment in my experience was about $120 for a 3-month supply of injectible testosterone, at the typical rate of use, but you need to understand once your balls are off, that is a lifelong need, at at current rates that's about $480 per year for your testosterone, or less than $10 per week.

I hope this helps.

--LT
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Oh hi, Sandi,

Thank you for the welcome and no worries, I appreciate your joke. I understand your point that the decision I am considering seems extreme but I'm doing the research and I'm feeling more and more comfortable with this decision.

Not having any physical issues detected by now is concerning and confusing. I'm glad there isn't anything physically wrong that I know of but why is my groin and abdomen so overly sensitive that I'm in constant pain???

We can talk more.

Thank you,
    Want2BRight

Hi LT,

Thank you for your reply. You provided a lot of helpful information.

I'm not concerned about sterility or fathering another child so I ruled out having a vasectomy. I'm also not concerned about the loss of sex or intercourse. Any arousal can be painful and my wife has been out of action for fifteen years due to cancer treatments so even masturbation isn't enjoyable. I do enjoy women and have found creative ways to please my partners.

I believe the loss of testosterone would be beneficial so I don't want to replace it if I don't have to.

I thought Gynemocastia happens without testosterone. Does this always happen and are there any other options so I don't have to do HRT?

There is no history of diabetes in my family and I am pretty healthy and eat well. I'm just concerned the lack of testosterone might put me at risk for adult diabetes.

I don't mind the loss of body hair and fortunately still have my hair on my head so I think that would be another secondary benefit.

That's what I keep reading about doctors but I think I have a genuine, medical case. I've read the process starts with a psychology exam and letter of referral. I guess the psychiatrist would be able to refer me.

My insurance only covers vasectomies and routine doctor appointments. $3,000? Wow, I was thinking more like $10,000. Anything medical is expensive but that seems pretty reasonable for an out-patient procedure.

That Michigan doctor you mentioned sounds a little sketchy, little to no questions asked? Is he credentialed? Did you see this doctor? Sounds a little to good to be true. I want to do this safely.

Thank you,
    Want2BRight

Diabetes can be an issue with low or no testosterone. If I don't take Testosterone my blood sugar levels shoot way up. If I do take Testosterone my blood sugar levels are at or are nearly at "normal" levels with no other changes in my treatment. In the spirit of full disclosure I admit my weight is high (but lower than in the past) and my mother was diagnosed with diabetes in her 60's. Also, If you intend to take testosterone in order to maintain sexual activities you need to start right away. I went for some time without testosterone and when I did take it I was not returned to the state I was in before I was castrated and the situation has not improved. I know others who have similar stories. This does not cause me any distress but I think you might be unhappy if this happened to you. --FLO--
    Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by Want2BRight View Post
    Hi LT,

Thank you for your reply. You provided a lot of helpful information.
    You're welcome.

I'm not concerned about sterility or fathering another child so I ruled out having a vasectomy. I'm also not concerned about the loss of sex or intercourse. Any arousal can be painful and my wife has been out of action for fifteen years due to cancer treatments so even masturbation isn't enjoyable. I do enjoy women and have found creative ways to please my partners.

I believe the loss of testosterone would be beneficial so I don't want to replace it if I don't have to.
    Just keep in mind, after time if you do not use testosterone, you'll likely not be interested in sex or doing anything about sex. I suppose I could be wrong, as I do not have enough personal experience without testosterone. I went on it 5 weeks after I was castrated, and have been on it ever since.

I thought Gynemocastia happens without testosterone. Does this always happen and are there any other options so I don't have to do HRT?
    I have gynemocastia, but I made peace with it a long time ago. When I lose weight (I'm a bit heavy at the moment) it minimizes to an extent, but I notice I still have protrusion on my chest.

That's what I keep reading about doctors but I think I have a genuine, medical case. I've read the process starts with a psychology exam and letter of referral. I guess the psychiatrist would be able to refer me. My insurance only covers vasectomies and routine doctor appointments. $3,000? Wow, I was thinking more like $10,000. Anything medical is expensive but that seems pretty reasonable for an out-patient procedure. That Michigan doctor you mentioned sounds a little sketchy, little to no questions asked? Is he credentialed? Did you see this doctor? Sounds a little to good to be true. I want to do this safely.
    The Michigan doctor is legit. While I have not used his services, many here on the archive have. They can better tell you what to expect with him, so hopefully one or more of those folks will speak up.

--LT
    Last edited by Losethem; 03-20-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Hi FLO,

Thank you for your very informative reply. Naturally, I don’t want to risk diabetes and was a bit shocked to learn that could be a potential risk of castration. I had no idea testosterone helped to regulate blood sugar.

I mentioned my family does not have a history of diabetes and I am fairly active, eat well, in good health, and my weight is proportionate for my height (190lbs, 6’1”). My only known risk factor is I do like to drink beer and wine regularly but mostly in moderation.

I was not considering hormone replacement but you made a very good point about starting it soon so as to minimize the loss of masculine characteristics especially when it comes to physical intimacy. I would like to be sexually active since honestly, as an intact male, I spend a lot of time thinking about it but arousal is very painful.

I think the orchiectomy would help alleviate the discomfort and get my mind off sex especially since my spousal intimacy is limited because of my wife’s cancer and the pain I experience doesn’t allow for self-stimulation anyways.

I hope that makes sense.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Kindly,
    Want2BRight

Oh, ok. Thanks again, LT.

Doesn't testosterone prevent or reduce gynemocastia?

Can I ask which doctor you went to?

Each man is different. You might get some gynemocastia, you might not. You'll be unable to determine if that will happen ahead of your castration. Simply put, it's a risk you'll have to take if your proceed to testicle removal.

I didn't use a doctor when I was castrated, because there wasn't one doing it at that time. I do however not endorse what I did, especially since there are relatively inexpensive options to get castrated legitimately. For my penectomy and scrotum removal, I used a legitimate surgeon in California, but he required a therapist support letter, and I was treated on the transgender spectrum as a newly classified category of male-to-eunuch (MtE).

--LT

Dear LT,

That's a great point to know that everyone is different. I don't want to do hormones if I don't have to.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it. I want to be safe in a medical setting. Alternatives like home elastrator seem tempting enough but after doing my research, I do not want to risk the infection or worse, gangrene. Ouch! That's not the answer for me.

Kindly,
    Want2BRight

Welcome to the group!

Hi, thank you Stumpycoon for the welcome.

I'm just getting started here and trying to learn the site. Everyone's been very helpful and welcoming.

Thank you again,
    Want2BRight

Welcome and I was like you not wanting to use HRT and didn't for 2.5 years but here I am on T and have been for over a year. There seem to only be a small percentage who can manage it sadly.

Hiya sparkey49,

Thank you for the welcome and I appreciate hearing about your HRT.

Best always,
    Want2BRight

Thread Information