View RSS Feed

Zebedeee

After a Week of 100mg Androcur

Rate this Entry
The good news is that after upping my Androcur dose to 100mg a day last week I donít seem to be experiencing any ill effects. My energy levels may be a bit lower, and when I wake up in the morning I feel a little Ďstuck to the pillowí and it takes me a couple of cups of tea to get going, but nothing nasty. My already extremely low libido seems to have been crushed out of existence! Iím not sure if I can still get an erection and I have no desire to even tryÖ

Iím still undecided how long to continue at this dose as even without a blood test Iím pretty certain that itís already lowered my testosterone level, and itís a matter of deciding how long I need to go before dropping back down to 50mg a day and hopefully maintaining this level without it creeping back up again. Whatever I do Iíve already made my mind up that I wonít go longer than a month taking 100mg Androcur a day, and I may even go back to 50mg next week.

In other news, on Monday I switched my Tamoxifen brand from Mamofen to Genox and already my sore nipples seem to be calming down. I have no idea what thatís about, but I think Iíll be sticking to Genox for the time being.

Iím still losing weight and Iím now down to 207lbs (from 242lbs last year). The hair on my head still seems to be very slowly thickening back up (I used to have a bald patch - now I have a thin patch!), and body hairís looking finer in places (hands and arms in particular). This morning my face barely needed a shaveÖ

A friend has noticed that thereís something different about me, and a little while ago in the car she said ďI donít know what the hellís happened to you!Ē I just laughed it off at the time, but I think I may have to tell her soon..!

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thats great news! i was worried you might get some side effects from the higher dose. Since stopping Androcure i am back to shaving at least once a day again. It was down to every other or sometimes every 3 days.
    I'm going back on Androcur now that my annoying libido is returning. I'm on vacation and my wife and I are riding bicycles, so it was good not to have shortness of breath and my strength is better. I'm going to have to exercise more in hope of minimizing the side effects.

I have really enjoyed having little body hair growth and don't want to get hairy again. I've been able to use an epilator to remove what little growth there is and it doesn't seem to grow back. I've learned that the slight breast growth I've experienced is probably not just because of low-T. I also take Omeprazole to prevent acid reflux and Amlodipine as a blood pressure regulator. Turns out that gynomastia is a side effect of both drugs. So I've been getting a triple whammy. Good think I don't mind having little boobies.
    one strange thing I noticed, and you mention, kind of, was tea!. Although in America, I am still very British in my tea drinking. Drink it all day long at work. My taste for it dropped right off, and i started drinking and enjoying coffee. Back to enjoying the taste of tea again now.
    Quote Originally Posted by notsomanly
    I also take Omeprazole to prevent acid reflux and Amlodipine as a blood pressure regulator. Turns out that gynomastia is a side effect of both drugs. So I've been getting a triple whammy. Good think I don't mind having little boobies.
    I take both those meds too... No wonder I've had nipple issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGrant
    one strange thing I noticed, and you mention, kind of, was tea!. Although in America, I am still very British in my tea drinking. Drink it all day long at work. My taste for it dropped right off, and i started drinking and enjoying coffee. Back to enjoying the taste of tea again now.
    I've always drunk tea first thing in the morning, but then enjoyed coffee during the day. Pretty soon after I started Androcur I completely lost the taste for coffee.

Most odd.
    This morning I woke up feeling a little grotty, which I think is due to me overdoing things yesterday with lots of heavy housework and a five mile walk in the hot sunshine (we're having a bit of a heatwave here in the UK).

As I feel just a bit sick and light headed I've decided that to be on the safe side I'm dropping back down to 50mg Androcur a day. I will have taken 100mg daily for ten days which I figure is enough to knock my testosterone right back down.

Of course I may just have sunstroke..!
    Stopping Androcur for long enough that my libido has returned has been a very enlightening experience. I've started waking up in the very early morning with sexual fantasies that persist as long as I stay in bed. This is what I experienced for years before suppressing testosterone and I HATE it. I started back on Androcur yesterday at 100 mg/day and hope that my libido disappears faster than it did the first time. My testicles are still shrunken and body hair virtually gone so I'm curious to see how the start-up goes this time.

This is really revealing. I now know that I need to suppress my T levels to the point that I become asexual. It's really a far better way to be for me. Since side effects of Androcur made me stop the first time, I'll either need to find another drug or get rid of my testicles. Not having to take any drug is very appealing right now. I know the usual recommendation is to stay on a T-suppressing drug for at least 6 months before taking the plunge, but I don't know how even that will be decisive. Being on a drug isn't the same as being physically castrated. It has taken some men on this site several years with no HRT before deciding they need it. I know that I'd be really happy if my libido never returned and only factors like depression and other effects of long-term low T could be problems. But I seriously think it's possible that my uncontrolled libido was why I had to go on an antidepressant in the first place and I'm so much happier completely asexual.

I'll stay on Androcur for several more months to see if I get over the shortness of breath that caused me to stop. If not then I'll have to try something else.
    Stopping Androcur for long enough that my libido has returned has been a very enlightening experience. I've started waking up in the very early morning with sexual fantasies that persist as long as I stay in bed. This is what I experienced for years before suppressing testosterone and I HATE it. I started back on Androcur yesterday at 100 mg/day and hope that my libido disappears faster than it did the first time. My testicles are still shrunken and body hair virtually gone so I'm curious to see how the start-up goes this time.

This is really revealing. I now know that I need to suppress my T levels to the point that I become asexual. It's really a far better way to be for me. Since side effects of Androcur made me stop the first time, I'll either need to find another drug or get rid of my testicles. Not having to take any drug is very appealing right now. I know the usual recommendation is to stay on a T-suppressing drug for at least 6 months before taking the plunge, but I don't know how even that will be decisive. Being on a drug isn't the same as being physically castrated. It has taken some men on this site several years with no HRT before deciding they need it. I know that I'd be really happy if my libido never returned and only factors like depression and other effects of long-term low T could be problems. But I seriously think it's possible that my uncontrolled libido was why I had to go on an antidepressant in the first place and I'm so much happier completely asexual.

I'll stay on Androcur for several more months to see if I get over the shortness of breath that caused me to stop. If not then I'll have to try something else.
    I hope the breathlessness doesn't return, or is at least manageable.

I must admit that physical castration is looking more and more appealing. I just wish that there was a clinic down the road that would do it... But then I guess that nothing worth doing is easy!

For the time being though I'll stick to the plan of pushing the NHS for a prescription, and if I'm successful in that I may at some point start pushing for a more Ďpermanentí solution. I'm quite sure that their policy is that they won't remove undamaged testicles unless you have cancer, but it can't hurt to make nuisance of myself and you never know I may be successful.
    I very much envy you for not having the breathlessness problem.

I just took my third dose of renewed Androcur and I think it's already having an effect. Libido is a bit less and I didn't wake up last night with sexual fantasies. I'm guessing I was still recovering from my 3-month trial and that it doesn't take much of the drug to shut my testicles down again. It would be great to transition to a lower dose more quickly this time. Libido returned about a month after stopping the last time, so if I take another break I won't wait as long this time. I find it fascinating that the return of my libido after going months without it is even more striking than feeling it disappear after starting Androcur.

I'm about 90% certain that I'll get permanently castrated. The question is when. I plan to use CaCl2 injections, which is way easier than trying to get a local physician to remove healthy testicles. I have a lot of experience with sterile procedures so I have no concerns about this route. If my testicles react typically, they should shrink and develop hard masses. After several months I will schedule an appointment with my internist to check them out. I've heard some opinions on this site that female physicians are less hesitant than their male peers to order castration. She and I have talked about how much I like having lower than normal testosterone.
    I very much envy you for not having the breathlessness problem.
    I think I'm just lucky. I do have a black cat - I don't know if that helps..!
    We have a black cat too and he sleeps at my feet. Maybe I should speak to him about my luck.
    Just got back from hiking in the Rocky mountains. There is no way i could have done it if i had stayed on Androcure! i was short of breath just walking to the bathroom at 800ft here, would never have been able to breath crossing the divide at 12,000ft! Going to start again today, see if the breathlessness is as bad again this time.
    I'm in my third week of resuming Ancrocur. So far, breathlessness hasn't been a problem. I'm hoping that a bad chest cold that filled my lungs with gunk was a big factor last time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGrant
    Just got back from hiking in the Rocky mountains. There is no way i could have done it if i had stayed on Androcure! i was short of breath just walking to the bathroom at 800ft here, would never have been able to breath crossing the divide at 12,000ft! Going to start again today, see if the breathlessness is as bad again this time.
    I'd love to see the Rocky mountains - one day! Though just the thought of crossing the divide at 12,000ft makes me breathless...

If I ever get there I think that I might hire a helicopter!
    I'm in my third week of resuming Ancrocur. So far, breathlessness hasn't been a problem. I'm hoping that a bad chest cold that filled my lungs with gunk was a big factor last time.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for both yourself and MikeGrant that it doesn't return.