View RSS Feed

Zebedeee

Angry Nipples!

Rate this Entry
Well as itís nearly a month since I posted my last blog I thought that it was about time I wrote another, though to be honest thereís not much new to report.

A new side effect has cropped up which Iíve mentioned in a couple of forum posts, and thatís my nipples have become rather sensitive and occasionally a little sore. Itís not really a problem and other than them sometimes becoming very hard, pointy and sensitive to touch, thereís no sign that Iím about to grow a pair of breasts!

Most nights Iím sleeping right through and not waking up needing a pee, so I think that issue is settling down a bit, and generally Iím sleeping very well getting about seven hours a night of really deep sleep and waking up feeling refreshed. My energy levels are much as before, which most days is lots of energy in the morning, start feeling a little tired by mid to late afternoon and I pretty much crash in the evening, falling into bed at ten oíclock and going straight to sleep. I have the occasional day when I feel a bit tired all day and sometimes I donít feel tired in the evening, but I guess thatís pretty normal.

Iím having another blood test on Monday as my GP wants to recheck my haemoglobin level as it was a little down on my last test. She doesnít seem too concerned and has said that sheíll prescribe some iron pills if I need them. No idea if this is a side effect of taking Androcur or not, as Iíve become anaemic several times in the past. But it is a bit of a coincidence that my blood count has fallen since I started taking the meds. My haemoglobin level came up quickly when I took iron pills previously, so hopefully it should be easy to manage. Glad that Iím not skimping on the blood tests thoughÖ My last test showed that my liver is in good health and hopefully this time they donít forget testosterone level.

This Friday (two days time - ugh!) Iím going to the hospital for a gastroscopy (camera down the throat), which is a follow up to one I had last summer as I was experiencing rather nasty chest and stomach pains which turned out to be oesophagitis. No doubt caused by the bottle of vodka a day I was drinking at the time! Well as I havenít had a drink in over six months and Iím no longer having any pain itíll be interesting to find out how things are looking, though Iím dreading the procedure!

When the nurse asks me what medication Iím taking Iím going to be completely honestÖ I wonder what reaction Iíll get?! (They probably wonít care.)

Anyway, think of me at one oíclock on Friday.

(If you donít hear from me again, then the nurse did care and Iíve been carted off to a mental hospital..!)

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

will keep you in mind and prayers.
    Thank you!

I don't mind admitting that I'm very nervous - despite the fact that I've had it done before...
    congratulation's on six months, july 1st will be 3 years since my last drink, a fifth of bourbon a day cost me my health and my drivers license
    Congratulations on three years!

It's not easy - I know! The first couple of months of not drinking were really tough (over Christmas too), but since I started taking Androcur the desire's just gone away. I fear what would happen if I stop.

I should have the results from tomorrows procedure (eek!) in a few weeks time, and I guess I'll find out if I've done any long term damage. Though I think I may have killed a few brain cells over the years as my memory's terrible and chemical castration seems to be making it worse..! I'm very lucky not to have been done for drink driving, as although I avoided driving after a drink I must have often been over the limit the following morning, despite feeling sober...
    Well my gastroscopy procedure was about as unpleasant as expected, and I’ve only just about recovered my wits..!

I really am bad at these things, and this time I gagged throughout and felt like I was choking despite a sedative and throat spray, and a nurse had to hold my arms to stop my trying to pull the endoscope out. Still, that’s an improvement on a previous occasion when I had a panic attack! Though afterwards I felt freezing cold and couldn’t stop shaking in the recovery room, and I’m told that I was very pale and my blood pressure dropped to about 80 over 50… I received a LOT of attention from the nurses until my blood pressure started to recover. Mild shock apparently.

Last night I had nightmares and I woke up feeling quite tearful. Seriously, why the fuck can’t they just knock me out cold for the procedure? I’m developing quite a phobia to it and I’m not sure that’d I’d consent again…

Anyway I should see the doctor in a few weeks time for the results.

I was honest with the nurse about all the medication that I’m taking, and she didn’t bat an eyelid. She even asked whether my next of kin knows that I’m taking anti androgens, and when I said that they didn’t she promised me that they’d keep it confidential if they had to contact them.
    Thanks for the update. I had a strange shortness of breath while sitting at the table just before I stopped Androcur. I see that low red blood cell counts are a potential side effect and perhaps that had something to do with it. But it lasted only about 15 min. I'm about to schedule an appointment with my internist to see if she can find anything suspicious. It has been ~3 wks since I stopped taking Androcur and some of the side effects (primarily shortness of breath with even mild exercise) have disappeared. Still have no libido, but a couple morning wood events. My testicles have stayed shrunken. I'm finding this a very fascinating experience.
    Glad that the shortness of breath has passed, I remember it well from when I’ve been anaemic in the past and it wasn’t very pleasant.

I had another blood test yesterday so when I get the results it’ll be interesting to find out where my blood counts are at. If my haemoglobin is continuing to drop hopefully some prescription strength iron tablets will sort it out…

They remembered to include testosterone this time and I should have the results by the end of the week. I’ll pop into the surgery on Thursday or Friday and ask for printouts, which always highlight anything that’s out of the normal range making them easy to read, and I’ll make an appointment with my GP if necessary.